Love One Another
Children will continue to follow a guided reading scheme in Year 2. They will read a guided book together in small groups once a week to the class teacher and in addition to this they will read in a group twice a week to an adult in school. The guided reading will be delivered as a lesson and we will teach new skills for reading and comprehension during these sessions. The book read during guided reading will be the level above what your child is currently at in order to challenge them and raise attainment.
Independent Home Reading
As well as a group book your child will also be allocated a home reader which is chosen by us to suit their current ability (this will be reviewed regularly). This book is part of our school scheme and will be monitored closely as to how the children are progressing. We choose this book for them. We would ask that you listen to your child read this book a little every night and comment/sign in their Reading Diary please.
- Children will receive a spellings list and a small piece of homework every Monday. This will be due in on the Friday of the same week. Please ensure you practise the spellings on the list as they will receive a spellings test on the Friday.
- Your child's homework will be put in their own folder for them, please ensure they look after this folder and return their finished homework in this folder on Fridays. (If they wish to hand it in earlier then great!)
- Children will also begin to receive some Numeracy homework to consolidate their learning in class. This will also be set on a Monday and due in on a Friday. (This homework won’t necessarily be set every week).
St. Christopher’s Catholic Primary School
Welcome back! We hope you have all had a lovely half term together. This half term is a very exct9ng one, filled with fun on the run up to Christmas! Our learning for this half term is all about ‘Winter Wonderlands’.
Please take the time to read through the things we will be learning about up until the Christmas Holidays.
We will be reading a variety of Winter Themed stories to write setting descriptions using our senses.
We will write information texts based on a chosen animal that lives in the Polar Regions.
We will use our learning about animals from the Polar Regions to research and then debate of the issue; ‘Zoos– Good or Bad?’.
We will look at poems with rhythm and rhyme and write some of our own winter poems
- Adding and subtracting 10 from any given number (also 10p from money)
- Add and subtract 10, 20 and 30 to any 2-digit number; Add and subtract 11, 21, 12 and 22 to any 2-digit number; Solve addition and subtractions by counting on and back in 10s then in 1s; solve addition and subtraction problems using concrete and pictorial representations
- Understand and use terms and vocabulary associated with position, direction and movement; Measure lengths using uniform units; Begin to measure in centimetres and metres
- Add and subtract 2-digit numbers; Solve addition and subtraction problems using concrete and pictorial representations; Add near doubles to double 15; Add several small numbers spotting near doubles or pairs to 10, etc.
- Count in 2s, 5s and 10s from zero; Count in multiples of 2p, 5p and 10p; Number sequences of 2s, 5s and 10s; Find the totals of coins and ways to make an amount; Use coins to make given amounts of money
PLEASE CAN ALL CHILDREN PRACTICE THEIR 2, 3, 5 AND 10 TIMES TABLES ON A REGULAR BASIS.
Habitats. We will investigate which animals live in which habitats and then focus on the animals of the Polar regions. We will investigate how they have adapted to their surroundings in order to survive.
Use Word and Publisher to create greeting cards and postcards.
Sharing in the life of Jesus : Mary , the disciples, saints and us.
Creative Humanities– Geography and History.
We are going to look at the different patterns of weather in the UK and the Polar Regions. We will find out about the location of the North and South Pole and look at the characteristics of these cold places. We will also find out about the lives and explorations of Robert Falcon Scot and Ernest Shakleton, two famous Polar explorers!
DT and Art
Creating collages of winter scenes. We will also look at some famous winter scenes by artists such as Monet, Lowry, Kandinsky and Paul Klee. We will try to use their styles to create our own winter art.
Gymnastics– Using the apparatus.
PE will be on a Tuesday and a Wednesday– please ensure children have their correct PE kits in school.
Any queries or questions please do not hesitate to contact me. My email is: firstname.lastname@example.org or feel free to call the office to make an appointment to speak with me.