Love One Another
Learning in Autumn 2.
Welcome back! We hope you have all had a lovely half term together. This half term is a very exciting one, filled with fun on the run up to Christmas! Our learning for this half term is all about ‘Winter Wonderlands’.
Please take the time to read through the things we will be learning about up until the Christmas Holidays.
We will be reading a variety of Winter Themed stories to write setting descriptions using our senses.
We will write information texts based on a chosen animal that lives in one of the Polar Regions using learning from our Geography and Science lessons.
We will use our learning about animals from the Polar Regions to research and then debate of the issue; ‘Zoos– Good or Bad?’
We will look at poems with rhythm and rhyme and write some of our own winter poems
- Adding and subtracting 10 from any given number (also 10p from money)
- Add and subtract 10, 20 and 30 to any 2-digit number; Add and subtract 11, 21, 12 and 22 to any 2-digit number; Solve addition and subtractions by counting on and back in 10s then in 1s; solve addition and subtraction problems using concrete and pictorial representations
- Add and subtract 2-digit numbers; Solve addition and subtraction problems using concrete and pictorial representations; Add near doubles to double 15; Add several small numbers spotting near doubles or pairs to 10, etc.
- Find the totals of coins and ways to make an amount; Use coins to make given amounts of money
- Recognise and use the inverse relationship between addition and subtraction and use this to check calculations and solve missing number problems.
PLEASE CAN ALL CHILDREN PRACTISE THEIR 2, 3, 5 AND 10 TIMES TABLES ON A REGULAR BASIS.
Habitats: We will investigate which animals live in which habitats and then focus on the animals of the Polar Regions. We will investigate how they have adapted to their surroundings in order to survive.
We will be learning to make a poster by combining texts and images.
Sharing in the life of Jesus: Mary, the disciples, saints and us.
Creative Humanities– Geography and History.
We are going to look at the different patterns of weather in the UK and the Polar Regions. We will find out about the location of the North and South Pole and look at the characteristics of these cold places. We will also find out about the lives and explorations of Robert Falcon Scot and Ernest Shakleton, two famous Polar explorers!
DT and Art
Creating collages of winter scenes. We will also look at some famous winter scenes by artists such as Monet, Lowry, Kandinsky and Paul Klee. We will try to use their styles to create our own winter art.
PE will continue to be on a Tuesday and a Wednesday– please ensure children have their correct PE kits in school.
Any queries or questions please do not hesitate to contact me. My email is: firstname.lastname@example.org or feel free to call the office to make an appointment to speak with me.
Mrs Bennett (Year 2 Teacher)
Year 2 Shared Documents
Special Bonfire Night Lunch Menu
Polite Reminder to Parents/Carers from the School Age Immunisation Team
Parent Governor Election letter & Nomination Form
Playground work starts - texts will be sent to parents to update on access arrangements
New price for school meals